FACP | MHlthSc (Manip Phty), BAppSc (Phty)
Specialist Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist
Michael is a Specialist Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist. His primary clinical interest is in persistent and complex lower back pain, particularly problems that have not responded to treatment. Michael also has an interest in the differential diagnosis of complex musculoskeletal pain conditions and establishing patient centric, evidence informed holistic management strategies.
Michael was appointed an Independent Physiotherapy Consultant to the State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) (formally WorkCover NSW) in 2000 and maintains this position today. Michael has acted as an expert witness in a variety of civil court and conciliation proceedings as an expert physiotherapy witness. He is a Fellow of the Australian College of Physiotherapists and is a Honorary Fellow and lecturer at Macquarie University. He is actively involved in teaching and research related to neck and lower back problems.
Michael is the immediate past president of the Australian College of Physiotherapists and is a member of the Australian Physiotherapy Association. He is the immediate past president of the Physiotherapy Council of NSW.
Michael acts as a Consultant and Forensic physiotherapist, consulting to the insurance industry as an Independent Physiotherapy Consultant and as an expert witness in various court proceedings. He is a director of Sydney Specialist Physiotherapy Centre, consultant to Australian Specialist Physiotherapy Education and he continues to work primarily in clinical practice.
2007 – FACP (Fellow Australian College of Physiotherapists)
1999 – Master Health Sciences (Manipulative Physiotherapy)
1994 – Bachelor Applied Sciences (Physiotherapy, with Distinction)
2019 – Present; Council Member Australian College of Physiotherapists
2013 – Present; Honorary Fellow, Macquarie University
2009 – Present; Owner and Director, Sydney Specialist Physiotherapy Centre
2007 – Present; Specialist Physiotherapist, Forensic and Consultant Physiotherapist
2000 – Present; Independent Physiotherapy Consultant, SIRA NSW
Past Clinical Positions
2012 – 2015; Consultant Physiotherapist, North Ryde Physiotherapy, NSW
1999 – 2012; Owner and Principal, North Ryde Physiotherapy, NSW
1997 – 1999; Physiotherapist, North Ryde Physiotherapy, NSW
1994 – 1997; Physiotherapist Westmead Hospital
Past Professional Appointments
2014 – 2018; President Australian College of Physiotherapists
2015 – 2018; President NSW Physiotherapy Council
2009 – 2015; NSW Physiotherapy Council
2009 – 2012 Director Australian Physiotherapy Association (APA)
2004 – 2007 National Chair Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy Australia (MPA)
2007 – 2008 Australian Delegation IFOMPT
2000 – 2009 Advisor Physiotherapy Board of NSW
• Specialist Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist, Fellow of the Australian College of Physiotherapy (ongoing, since 2007)
• Australian Physiotherapy Association (ongoing, since 1994)
• MPA (ongoing, since 1994)
Education experience, University
Michael has taught on the Masters of Health Science (Manipulative Physiotherapy) in the Discipline of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney, Faculty of Health Sciences between 2000 and 2010. During this time, he acted as a Clinical Educator and Examiner for the Masters of Health Sciences (Manipulative Physiotherapy) clinical course. Michael was an advisor to the University of Sydney, sitting on the External Advisory Panel for the Graduate Entry Masters Program, advising on clinical and professional standards, the academic curriculum and related matters as the University requires.
While in the role of Chair of Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy Australia, he was involved in drafting the original “Alternative, Experiential Pathway to Titling” (with Professor Darren Rivett and Dr Darren Beales). This was accepted and ratified by the APA Board, and the academic and clinical examination rigor has become the gold standard in experiential titling development within the APA.
In 2013 Michael became an honorary follow at Macquarie University where he continues in an advisory capacity, providing ongoing input into musculoskeletal course and lectures on the doctorate of physiotherapy program.
Other Post-graduate education experience
At the moment Michael is in full time clinical practice as a Specialist Physiotherapist. In addition to the clinical consultant responsibilities, this role involves the education and mentoring of Titled Physiotherapists looking to progress through the Specialisation Process.
Michael presented courses for WorkCover (NSW) from 2000 to 2015. These courses are directed at providing best practise, evidence based physical treatment for injured workers being managed under the NSW workers compensation system. This course is directed at graduate physiotherapists of all levels of experience and post graduate qualification, in addition to medical practitioners, chiropractors, osteopaths, remedial massage therapists and exercise physiologists.
Since 2009, the Sydney Specialist Physiotherapy Centre has presented interactive courses in a Masterclass format to tilted and experienced members of Sports Physiotherapy Australia and Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy Australia. We have also run many successful weekend courses and symposia.
Selection of Courses and workshops
• Annual Masterclass Symposium ASPE Sydney Australia 2012 – present
• Various presentations ASPE Evening Masterclasses 2009 – present
• The Complete and Advanced Upper Cervical Spine and Head ASPE Sydney Australia 29-31 March 2019
• The Complete and Advanced Lumbar Spine and Pelvis ASPE Sydney Australia 4-6 May 2018
• The Advanced Upper Cervical Spine and Head ASPE Sydney Australia 11-13 August 2017
• The Complete Lumbar Spine and Pelvis ASPE Sydney Australia 28-30 October 2016
• The Complete Lumbar Spine and Pelvis ASPE Sydney Australia 19-21 June 2015
• The Complete Upper Quadrant ASPE Sydney Australia 27-29 March 2015
• The Complete Cervical Spine ASPE Sydney Australia 23-25 May 2014
• The Complete Lumbar Spine and Pelvis ASPE Sydney Australia 28-30 March 2014
• The Complete Cervical Spine ASPE Sydney Australia 3-5 May 2013
• Chronic Pain Symposium ASPE Sydney Australia 23-24 March 2013
• The Complete Lumbar Spine ASPE Sydney Australia 3-4 November 2012
• The Complete Cervical Spine ASPE Sydney Australia 5-6 May 2012
• What type of exercise and when ASPE Sydney Australia 19-20 November 2011
• Effective clinical reasoning and manual therapy for the spine ASPE 9-10 April 2011
• Clinical Best Practice/Treatment courses for WorkCover NSW 2000-2015